Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflections....


New Years Day. Always a good day for a little reflection….and sleep. It is 6:30am. Only 6 ½ hours ago that glass ball dropped. I am certain NIKKI and Watson (my black lab) were up watching that ball drop too. I guess that ball thing means nothing to them– even when I took them outside late and gave them a small treat/bribe to let me sleep in a little longer. I think it is a conspiracy. Watson – the older dog lays there, often sighing loudly as NIKKI pokes her nose in my face. I know he wants me up as much as she does but he is going to allow her to do the dirty work. So I am awake. Why not blog…..right? And since it is New Years Day, I will reflect on the past year just a bit and declare some resolutions for the New Year.

NIKKI and I became a real team this year. She and I really learned each other. We seem to sense each others needs better. She watches me more intently and I am clued into her cues. In most ways this is wonderful. She and I know each other so well I am confident that we can work in any situation. A trust has been built. But with this, a little separation anxiety has developed. To accommodate this, I plan our visits so that she can be by my side at all times or I take her home.

We have been taking some advanced obedience classes and I really think the information gained through this class has led us to be where we are today. I learned a ton about positive dog training and how to handle NIKKI without yanking a leash and firm commands (my previous method of dog handling!) I also learned how to teach NIKKI some new tricks. Tricks are really good when working with the kid’s….and adults too. It really doesn’t take much to impress people. The kids just think it is cool and most adults are amazed by the obedience….often reflecting on their own dog’s inability to do any of the things that NIKKI can do. My intention for the New Year is to teach NIKKI a few new tricks….like playing dead (a frequent request), balance a treat on her nose (this will be a challenge – NIKKI does not like this!), to find a hidden treat and to put hand signals to her tricks. (I am sure there will be more…it is just too early to think about what else we can learn!)

And I hope to increase our work as a rehabilitative assistance dog. NIKKI has proven to be a motivator for kids during their therapy sessions. I don’t think the research can prove this but it is very obvious that kids work harder when the dog is around. Every speech or physical therapist that I work with tell me how much harder the kids work when NIKKI is around. Dogs certainly have a place in a therapist’s bag of tricks when trying to help kids learn new skills. Kids talk louder and more with NIKKI. Kids walk faster and will try more with NIKKI. Kids can learn things like positional concepts when working with NIKKI. Not so normal kids become the coolest kids in the school when they have NIKKI’s leash. If we make a difference – even a small difference -then it is worth it.

So before I mislead you into thinking NIKKI is the perfect dog….let me tell you about a few of the other things I have learned about NIKKI this year. I have learned that NIKKI loves to stare at rabbits. When there is a rabbit in the yard it is a stare down until I go and chase the rabbit away. NIKKI doesn’t like to go for her daily walk. She prefers to go back to bed when the leash comes out. I insist on these daily walks. Once I find her and get her out there she is a fabulous walking companion. NIKKI likes our cat Sammy. She loves to torment this 13 year-old cat. Sammy is usually tolerant – until the other day when she got a double swat with the clawed paw. NIKKI (and Watson) love to let us know when someone is at the door, walking by the house or if a leaf blows outside. They bark in unison and feed off of one another. Luckily NIKKI knows “quiet” but Watson has yet to master that term….he responds better to the frustrated “shut up!” NIKKI is also highly food motivated. This love for food has gotten her in trouble – twice. Let’s just say that I learned how to induce vomiting this year and I think this new skill will come in handy with NIKKI in the future.

It has been a wonderful year. NIKKI is wonderful dog and through NIKKI I can give of myself. Giving of myself to others is what I believe is my purpose in this life. Stay tuned….I will try hard this year to keep this blog updated with NIKKI’s new tricks and some of the cool things she is doing with the kids. Happy New Year!

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment